Brianne Gidcumb | April 2015
Project Based Learning and the Arts Webinar Preview
I am so excited to host the upcoming arts webinar “Project Based Learning and the Arts” on April 15, 2015. This is my first opportunity host such an event with Education Closet, and I am thrilled to be presenting on this topic!
Project Based Learning And The Arts Webinar
Two years ago, in preparation for a district-wide initiative into problem-based learning, I cultivated as much information as I could. Information regarding problem/project/process-based learning, and how this approach might be utilized in the arts classroom. While there are decent resources out there, I found I couldn’t quite find exactly what I was looking for. What I needed was a one-stop shop. I needed a quick answer of how this increasingly popular educational approach might be implemented in my general music classroom.
To be completely honest, my foray into project-based learning was born out of the desire to protect arts classes. I wanted to prevent having an ill-fitting teaching approach thrust onto arts educators. What I gathered is a better understanding of how to authentically use inquiry-based approaches in a way honoring the inquiry process. Along with, the teaching of arts contents.
Below, I would like to give you a quick glimpse into some of the topics I’ll be covering in this one-hour arts webinar. I would like to invite you to send me your questions and topics you’d like to see addressed ahead of time, and I will try to provide you the best possible answers to your questions at the event!
In Project Based Learning and the Arts, we will be discussing:
- The inquiry-based learning process, and how it aligns with artistic processes.
- What PBL is, and what it is not.
- Similarities and differences in the variety of inquiry-based learning processes (problem and project-based learning) and arts integration/STEAM.
- Strategies for integrating an inquiry-based approach in the arts classroom, as well as strategies for helping classroom teachers integrate the arts into PBL.
- Challenges that arts teachers face in implementing PBL, and how we might address those challenges.
- Examples and rubrics of PBLs in music, visual art, drama, dance, and media arts.
- Links to resources on PBL
Please mark your calendar for April 15, 2015, 7:00/8:00 EST, for “Project Based Learning and the Arts.” Register for this arts webinar by clicking the link here. There will be a live Q&A chat as part of this session, but please feel free to send me questions prior to the event, and I will do my best to answer your questions. Hope to see you there!