Connections to Practice
This course provides the following classroom connections:
- Define the term social-emotional learning
- Identify the research-based benefits of SEL in the classroom.
- Identify external factors that impact the need for SEL in the classroom.
- Describe each SEL competency.
- Identify how the arts foster SEL competencies.
- Compare student needs related to different instructional times.
- Examine ideas for encouraging staff, parents and caregivers, and the community to support and facilitate arts-based social-emotional learning opportunities.
- Investigate a variety of arts-based SEL strategies.
- Describe formative assessments for social-emotional learning in arts-based activities.
- Research natural SEL opportunities within existing curricula.
- Examine codified steps for lesson plan transformation in practice.
- Transform an existing lesson plans to be inclusive of SEL competencies fostered through arts-based learning.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify/define the term social-emotional learning and recognize myths that surround it.
- Interpret the systemic issues that create a need for social-emotional learning in the classroom.
- Examine the five CASEL competencies of SEL.
- Determine how the arts can be utilized as a vehicle for social-emotional learning.
- Analyze arts-based SEL activities aligned with specific instructional times.
- Investigate and determine authentic strategies and activities that build successful social-emotional learning experiences into the four art forms.
- Construct transformed lesson plans which reflect SEL competencies taught through the arts.
Approval Information and Requirements
While you should always follow any pre-approval requirements in your district, we have helped thousands of educators advance on their district’s salary scale and meet their relicensing requirements. Some states require that organizations be pre-approved, while others accept hours based on the certificate received. Below, find out how we meet the various requirements:
States that require pre-approval which we have achieved:
New York Teachers: Click here to review our CTLE approval and number
Pennsylvania Teachers: Click here to review our Act 48 approval and number
All other teachers: Click here to review our list of states and approval status.
The Institute for Arts Integration and STEAM is accredited by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). The Institute complies with the ANSI/IACET Standard, which is recognized internationally as a standard of excellence in instructional practices. As a result of this accreditation, The Institute is accredited to issue the IACET CEU.
Quick FAQ and Support
We want you to feel totally comfortable taking this professional development course. So if you still have some questions, we’ll be happy to answer them! View all FAQ here.
Why can’t I take this course without enrolling in the Accelerator?
Because this saves you money. Our individual courses cost the same amount as an Accelerator membership. It just didn’t make sense to keep offering these course a la carte when you could have better support and resources in the Accelerator. If you complete your course and don’t wish to continue your membership, you can always cancel at anytime.
Will the PD hours count for my school/district?
In most cases, yes! We can provide you with a certificate of hours from our organization, based on the contact hours of the course. The majority of schools and districts accept these certificates and count them towards professional development hours. We always advise you, however, to check with your own institution before taking a course – just to be sure!
None of these courses are offered with graduate credit or are affiliated with an institution of higher education. However, we do work directly with state departments of education to ensure that these professional development hours meet their requirements and high-levels of learning expectations. As such, in almost all cases, these courses can be used for continuing education requirements.
Can I use a purchase order? What if I have a group?
School districts MAY use a purchase order – please contact us for more details and let us know which course you are interested in.
Group rates are available for groups of 3 or more. Please use this group registration form to receive your discounted pricing.
How long can I access the course?
This course is self-paced, meaning you can go as quickly or as slowly as you need. We know that while you may have specific intentions for how you’ll go through your course, life can sometimes have other plans. That’s why you can take any course at any time. You’ll never have to worry about falling behind or getting registered for credit in time. Work at your own pace in your own way.
What if I have questions?
We have a great team of people who are here to support you all of the way. If you run into an issues, or even if you just need a sounding board for an idea – we’re just an email, phone call or text away.
Phone/Text: 443-821-1089 or Email us here